CONTACT US | SITE SEARCH
About the DHS
The Hall of State
Historic City Tours
Links to Other Sites
Virtual Tour of Downtown Dallas
Built 1913. Located at Main and Houston, this eight-story structure went up in 1913 as a jail and courthouse. The jail was on the upper floors, and because it was so high, it was thought to be escape-proof, but that didn't prove to be the case as many people escaped from the jail. In 1925 a mob of approximately 5,000 people were repelled by sheriff's deputies, Dallas police and firemen. The group was intent on lynching the two Noel brothers who were indicted on six counts of rape and murder. One person was killed and the National Guard was called out. The Noel brothers were tried the next week and convicted in two and a-half hours. The Jack Ruby trial was held in one of the courtrooms, and until recent years the jail was still in use. The architect was Clarence E. Overbeck of Dallas.
Copyright © 2002 by the Dallas Historical Society. All rights reserved.